11.24.2012. Saturday. 4 am.

I woke up early and I couldn't sleep anymore. I was very much excited for our fieldtrip to the home of potters, Jon and his wife, Tessy Pettyjohn. They are considered as the Mom and Dad of Philippine Pottery and it is definitely a privilege for a keen pottery enthusiast like me to take a look at their workplace! Their compound is located in Calamba, Laguna just less than two (2) hours aways from Manila.




Dividing the trip into two parts. First one is a tour at their studio where the processes happen.


This is a Shozo-inspired vessel. I really like this style


This is Jon's workplace


He gave us a demo on how to form pots off the hump and how to create different forms. 
He truly is a Master Potter! Three kilos in a jiff. Amazing. And a plate in less than a minute. I can't even!


Amazing guy, he is.

Chemicals used for the glazes.




Bisque pots. I love their toppled-vase-turned teapot.




He also showed us his Anagama or cave kiln. Takes about two to three days of fueling with wood. I learn to appreciate the value of ceramics more,, all that energy and effort! He only fires it three times a year at most.



This is their dog, Ulap. He's a Great Dane. I love him.



And more pots!


Part two for more of their works


Leave a Reply