I have been sketching and painting personal works lately. 
Sharing some self-portraits and my vulnerabilities with you, strangers.

Butterfly Rash
Gouache on Watercolor Paper

The Pricking Step
Gouache, Ink and Inktense Pencil on Watercolor Paper


Lupus is hard to describe to common people. It is a silent illness and often misunderstood. It manifests in numerous forms like a simple rash, an aching joint, a fever or a fatigue that sometimes, it is called a disease with a thousand faces. Don't worry, mine isn't life threatening nor extremely painful but it is something I live with everyday. It comes and goes whenever it wants. It is like the rain - when it pours, it pours and the only thing you can do is wait for it to stop and surrender to it.

1) Butterfly Rash is a portrait of how SLE shows on the face. It is usually a reddening of the cheeks and nose bridge. It happens when I stay too long out in the sun (photosensitivity). And it feels like I have a fever on the cheeks. It also looks like a natural blush-on (ha ha). This has made me pretty self-conscious. Precautionary measures include a sunblock and something to cover me up from the heat.

2) The Pricking Step | The most common symptom I feel and I find very hard to explain! I would usually tell people it is arthritis but what I really feel is a cold on the middle part of my bones, sometimes like ants eating the marrows or something similar. I mostly feel it on my legs but it also occurs in my arms, wrists and fingers (joint areas). I use medicated patch to ease the pain and it does disappear after some time. 


"That is why (for Christ's sake), I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10




Leave a Reply