This is my first time to experience wood firing.
I wasn't expecting anything from it. I arrived at the studio past lunchtime and Kuya Carl was there putting wood on the kiln. I took a chair and watched as the fire burns the wood to ember. And the process repeats itself until I hardly noticed, an hour had already passed! The fire somewhat draws me to it, a sort of calming feeling watching it rise up and burn down in a cycle. The fire sends some warmth to my skin on this cold January.



A few hours more and I decided to join in the stoking. The pattern was two and four on alternate. Kuya Carl had the left side and I was in charge of putting wood on the other. We had to watch for the temperature changes. A drop meant we have to stoke again. We have to constantly watch for signs: the smoke on the chimney, the pyrometers, the temperature gauge, or the burning wood.



We used plywood at first and it took long before it reached the desired temperature. 
Later, we shifted to palochina.



The camera doesn't show but flames are rising up the chimney!


It's more evident at night. Red-orange flames up the roof.

I ended up staying til 8pm! Wow. I never thought I'll be this enamored by burning wood! 
I learned a lot of new things that day. Spontaneity pays off. I hope hardwork pays off too. Now I wonder how my pots turned out to be. :)

I realized I'm happiest with experiencing the process than expecting how the outcome will look like. 
I guess this also applies with my life.



Leave a Reply